Saturday 16th April, 2005

 

Demolition work starts on Salvatori

 
 
 
 
Sports Arena
Womanwise
Business Guardian
 
Letters
Online Community
Death Notices
 
Advertising
Classified Ads
Jobs in T&T
Contact Us
 
Archives
Privacy Policy
 
 
 

 

A contract worth $660,000 has been granted for the demolition of the interior of Salvatori Building on Independence Square, Port-of-Spain.

Calder Hart, chairman of the Urban Development Company of T&T, yesterday said the contract has been awarded to demolition expert Thanu Mungal to “take apart” the building from the inside starting at the top.

Mungal said his workmen will be treating with walls, ceilings and partitions.

“We are trying to take apart the building from the top down to the third floor and then we’ll see if we have enough room to use explosives to bring the last three stories down,” Hart said yesterday.

Demolition work on the building started last week Saturday.

He said the project management contract has been awarded to Genivar Trinidad, which is based in Canada. Hart said Genivar has a working relationship with the local company ADB Consultants.

“We’re largely cleaning it out, then work will continue for another three months,” Hart said.

He said once the building is taken down work will continue for about another three months.

“Once we take it down, we’ll do a request for proposals (RFP) to get the local industry involved,” Hart said.

He said the original design concept includes three storeys of mall space, about four storeys of parking space and offices above.

“RFPs will set the stage for the design,” Hart said.

 

 

 

 

 

©2004-2005 Trinidad Publishing Company Limited

Designed by: Randall Rajkumar-Maharaj · Updated daily by: Sheahan Farrell