Wednesday 27th December, 2006

 

International drug men held in Icacos

 
 
 
 
Sports Arena
Womanwise
Business Guardian
 
Letters
Online Community
Death Notices
 
Advertising
Classified Ads
Jobs in T&T
Contact Us
 
Archives
Privacy Policy
 
 
 

 

 

By RADHICA SOOKRAJ

Two Trinidadians believed to be middlemen in a notorious international drug cartel were arrested during a massive police exercise in the south-western peninsula on Christmas Day.

The men, aged 48 and 52, reportedly fled to Trinidad after the Drug Enforcement Administration of the United States Department of Justice issued warrants for their arrests.

Underworld sources told police that the men had been staying in Venezuela for several weeks after detectives picked up their trail.

The men are wanted on charges of alleged conspiracy to traffic cocaine in the United States. They are also said to be suppliers for several drug blocks in Cedros.

Investigators said between 7.30 am and 5 pm on Christmas Day, a contingent of police officers from the Organised Crime and Narcotics and Firearms Bureau, Guard and Emergency Branch and the Counter Drugs and Crime Task Force, set up a blockade in Icacos.

Police had received information that the men had been spotted at a house in the district. The officers searched several houses. In the course of the search one of the suspects was found hiding in an upstairs room, while the other was found in another house.

Sources said the men are linked to a recent drug bust off the coast of Cedros where $30 million worth of cocaine was found.

Police said the men are expected to appear at the Port-of-Spain Magistrates Court today.

Attempts are already being made to have the men extradited to the United States to face drug trafficking charges.

©2005-2006 Trinidad Publishing Company Limited

Designed by: Randall Rajkumar-Maharaj · Updated daily by: Sheahan Farrell