You are here
Exotic Oriental Flavours
A touch of the Orient will always spice up your dish. When you purchase exotic Chinese or Japanese condiments for use in specific recipes there will probably be at least half a jar leftover that’s destined for the refrigerator.
Finding different ways to use these spices and marinades will add a touch of excitement to another meal and inspire you to be more creative in your kitchen. Here are a few delightful ways to use oriental flavours with everyday ingredients.
THAI FLAVOURED CURRIED SHRIMP
2 lbs shrimp, cleaned
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp rum optional
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp sliced lemongrass
1 tbsp ginger
1 onion, chopped
1/2 hot pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp curry powder
2 tsp sesame oil
Chadon beni, chopped
• Rub the shrimp with garlic, and rum, let sit for 15 minutes.
• Heat oil in sauté pan, add lemongrass and ginger and cook for about two minutes, add onion and cook until tender, add peppers, stir.
• Add shrimp and cook for three minutes until it loses its colour,
• Combine curry with coconut milk and sesame oil.
• Add to shrimp. Cook for a few minutes until heated through and almost bubbly.
• Garnish with chadon beni.
• Taste and adjust seasonings.
• Serves four to six
1 lb small shrimp, cleaned
3/4 lb thin rice noodles, soaked in warm water for 20 mins.
6 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tbsp oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 hot pepper seeded and chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup bean sprouts
3/4 cup chopped chives
1/4 cup chopped chadon beni
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp curry powder
1/2 cup water
4 tbsp Chinese oyster sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
• In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients and set aside.
• Drain noodles and set aside.
• Season shrimp with salt and two cloves of chopped garlic.
• Heat one tablespoon oil in wok, stir fry shrimp until curled and pink, remove, clean wok.
• Dry your wok and heat 1 tbs oil, add egg, cook until golden, flip, remove and slice egg.
• Add the rest of the oil, add garlic, onion, and fry for a few seconds, add pepper, and bean sprouts, stir fry for a few more seconds, add egg and shrimp, now add the sauce, stir fry for a few more seconds.
• Add the noodles and toss with sauce, cook until thick.
• Add fresh herbs, toss and remove.
• Serves four to six.
STIR FRIED CHILI OYSTER BEEF
1 lb sirloin boneless beef
1 tbsp soy sauce
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large onion, cut into strips
8ozs, green beans, cut into
2 tbsp veg oil
1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
• Marinate beef in one tbs soy sauce, and two cloves garlic.
• Combine sauce ingredients and set aside.
• Heat wok, add garlic and onion.
• Fry until fragrant, add beef and toss, add green beans cook for about four minutes more.
• Stir and fry until beef is cooked, a few minutes.
• Add sauce and toss, cook until thick and bubbly.
• Remove and serve
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.
Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.
User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.